Granollers suffered from bombings that severely affected the city in the Spanish Civil War
Granollers suffered from indiscriminate air raids by the Fascist air force in 1938 and 1939.
The city of Granollers was first bombed on Tuesday, 31st of May 1938. It only lasted a minute but caused 224 deaths and a large number of injured, destroying part of the city centre.
After a few months, just a few days before the Civil War ended, the city of Granollers was bombed again. This cruel air raid killed over 30 people and created a large amount of destruction which can still be seen in part of the city.
When the city experienced its first air raid, there were almost no public shelters. After the attack, intensive work was carried out to build air raid shelters until Franco’s troops entered the city in January 1939. Most of the shelters, however, were still unfinished.
This route through the bombed city presents some of the most emblematic places affected by these events, plus a visit to one of the air raid shelters built in 1938 and Can Jonch. Centre de Cultura per la Pau, as a centre to raise awareness and encourage a culture of peace.
The air raid shelters are only open at certain times of the year. To arrange a visit , you can contact the Granollers Tourist Office.
Can Jonch. Centre de Cultura per la Pau
Can Jonch. Centre de Culture per la Pau is located in an old family home known as Can Jonch, a magnificent Modernista building with Noucentista elements built in 1913.
It’s worth paying a visit to its garden, where a shoot from the Gernika oak was planted, a few years later adding a Ginkgo Biloba, a tree full of symbolic power: the Ginkgo Biloba was the only species to survive the Hiroshima atom bomb in 1945.
Tiles of the bombing
A signposted route visiting the places affected by the bombing in 1938, with informative panels and tiles bearing the date of the air raid, 31/5/1938, in homage to all those who lost their lives during the Spanish Civil War. Coinciding with the 80th anniversary of the 1939 air raid, a new route through the city has been signposted.
Refugi Plaça Maluquer i Salvador (1938)
This is a cell-type shelter in which the separate departments are interconnected and there’s a shared passageway.
The area inside the shelter measures around 154 m² and it can hold approximately 450 people. It has one of the stairways with an entrance to the west and a part of the gallery tunnel that connected it with the Pereanton School, to give the children direct access.
The Council building still has a gallery-type shelter with an entrance from inside the Town Hall. The gallery descends in a zigzag and continues eastward through a long tunnel, towards La Porxada.
There was another entrance next to La Porxada to make access easier from the municipal market but it couldn’t be completed and only half the tunnel was finished.